Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Way It Should Be Done

It doesn't HAVE to be all corporate you know. Powell's Bookstore is the (I hear) biggest independent bookstore in the country...and it's located in Portland. So the family took me to downtown Portland (which rocks) and we went to Powell's. Un-freakin-believable. Yeah, they had the usual top 20 NYT stuff, but there were books that even the other corporate slags could only dream of. Used books were mixed in with new, it was floors and floors of amazing stuff. I had been looking for the new Howard Zinn's A Young People's History of the United States and the corporate stores gave me excuses. Powell's had multiple copies. (It's cool by the way. So $80 later, I have both volumes of the Zinn book, and a bunch of stuff on Hawaii for myself and for my class.

Sorry, I forgot the camera, but here's a picture borrowed from another website:


I met a woman who worked there who was born in Rochester, moved when she was 6 and is also a member of the Greens here in Portland.

I gotta admit, this is a pretty cool town.

So, last night, I took my nephew to see the movie Ratatoulie. Seeing as how much of a fan I am of the book Heat
I was down with the movie.

Tonight...laser tag.

No comments: