Sunday, July 1, 2007

Dave's New Wheels

I decided that when I get to Maui, I'm going to need a car. I was kind of hoping to do without one - I am pretty close to the school and the shore, but if I want to see the island and do some of things I want to, I'm just going to need a car - it's that simple, there really isn't anything in terms of public transit there. I had found this place online that both rents & sells biodiesel fuel cars. My plan was to rent one of their cars for a week when I got there and see what it's like and then buy one from them. Well, I'm getting a weird vibe from them...or should I say no vibe. They're not too big on returning calls and don't seem to be in that much of a hurry for my business. I know it's supposed to be a laidback culture there, but...

I also came across this article about the problems with biodiesel. But by the same token, just because a technology isn't the silver bullet we want, it doesn't mean we should just ignore it - that keeps the problem unabated.

So instead of staying home, I think I'm going big. I'm probably going to go hybrid...my first new, new car (as opposed to new-to-me) will be an Al Gore special. If I end up with some Fred Sanford hooptie, then I guess I'll have to keep my mouth shut.

No comments: