Monday, July 9, 2007

I Make The Young Girls Cry

No, I didn't bump my head and think I'm Barry Manilow. Today was my last day (overnight) at Hillside Children's Center. A couple of girls were a bit upset. The deaf boys? Luckily, I know they all have some kind of affect disorder - otherwise it sure looked like they were happy I was leaving. That wasn't the case, I swear. One of the people I've worked with made a cake and got me a hawaiian shirt. Beth is so sweet. I think the rest of the staff are just wondering who's going to fix the computer or fax machine when they get messed up. [By the way, to any cottage staff reading this...in the time it takes you to make a sign that says "There's a paper jam in the fax machine" and tape it to the machine...you could have pulled the paper out yourself. Come on, Meat!]

So for the one or two HCC alumni...here's a couple of pictures. I hope it doesn't bring you any flashbacks:




Hillside has pretty much taken on the qualities of Rochester itself, dysfunctional with a lot of business jargon and a lot of construction and unnecessary, expensive projects. Yep, that weird building is what they're doing to Hutch so it can become a DDSO cottage. Mo money, mo money, mo money!

I really wasn't that upset about leaving. Hillside's always been the place for me to go when I was fired from a teaching job and I'm proud of the work I've done there. But my last two stints...well, particularly this one. I just existed there. What little "good work" I was able to do as an overnight staff was engulfed by the institutional incompetence and indifference.

I learned a lot working at that place. It has really influenced my style as an educator - and yeah, as a person. (I know, that's kind of trite) And sure, it's cool to have "war stories" about getting bit or kids having tantrums at the mall, etc. But those incidents taught me about what's really important, and what motivates people to do what they do. Although I still go on the other blog and wonder who raised some people out there. Or as the Sloan song goes: Who taught you to live like that?

I'm more proud of the work I've done there than any political race I've been involved in, speech I've given or class I've taught. And most of my work at Hillside didn't even have the hugest, Lifetime-Movie-life-changing effect on those kids. But it was the most sincere, thoughtful, honest effort I've ever given in a job...in spite of the freakin administrators.

Jeez...I guess I make the old men cry, too.

I am music...and I write the soooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggggggssssss!!!!

3 comments:

Papa said...

Is that the new Hutch in the first photo?

Took me a while to recognize the viewpoint of the second... but what's the white building in the middle on the right?

Chris said...

Man.... you can't be dissing Barry like you are. He's a legend! He's a musical genius!!!

Lazulipi said...

NO MORE OVERNIGHTS!

Who knows what will happen now that you get a sleep schedule that resembles other peoples. You could take over the world!