Sunday, July 22, 2007

Play Ball?

[Warning: the following post contains sports jargon. Consult your doctor before reading.]

Today I went to a playoff game for the Maui Open League, the adult baseball league on the island. It was at the Maui Community College stadium. Not bad. It's in central Maui so it's not quite as hot as in Kihei, more cloudy. The field was OK, too. I've definitely played on worse.

So the two teams....hmmm....well, one of them was like a mediocre NABA 18+ team. The other was like a really, really bad NABA 18+ team. Not that impressive. It seems that it is an all-ages thing. Most of the players on both teams were pretty young, college age, but there were one or two older guys. And no one really stood out on either team.

Of the guys from the old team, we'd all do just fine in this league. Not to sound snobby, I'm just making observations, but I didn't notice anyone bring a bag with them, they carried their glove, cletes and bat. Both first basemen used regular gloves. The pitching was pretty mediocre. No...I'm not going to pitch again.

They're in the playoffs so that'll be it for the summer. My achilles is still tender so I'm going to do other things and look into it for next year. I may be too busy to play though...stay tuned.

1 comment:

We are an internet broadkast where fans submit their videos praising or ripping their favorite team or player in hopes of making the SMACKKAST. said...

hey Dave...

I am starting up a blog where fans can email me their videos and I will condense them into a "smackkkast" or fans praising or ripping their favorite teams... check out my site www.smakkast.com, tell me what you think. Thanks for the input inadvance...take care and I wish i was in maui with you,,,,,you are a smart man living in such a senic place... take care.