Sunday, July 22, 2007

I'm Moving

OK...take it easy. I'm not moving tomorrow. But I did find a town on the island that I'm pretty sure I'm going to be moving to eventually. Kihei is OK...I'm in North Kihei and everything here is brown...the dirt, the buildings, etc. And it's really just a big ass strip mall. I like my cottage. My landlords are nice. But yesterday, I found Paia. It's like someone took Village Gate Plaza and turned it into a town in Maui. It's right on the north coast, it rains more than it does in Kihei (it's a freakin desert only 15 miles from green), there's an awesome organic food store there, a store that sells nothing but stuff made of hemp (which would make my shower curtain feel at home). It's an eventual thing. I may not get there this year...but I will end up in Paia.

So I went there to check out someone's jewelry/art shop. I met her online from the MySpace page for the podcast. She's been my Spam expert. So after I met Jill (that's her name), I ran some errands and came back to Paia to meet her for a drink. Some dude who's a relative regular at this bar latched onto us and did some minor flapjacking. He was nice, but obnoxious...which means, it was cool to hang with the guy for an evening, but I won't be making a habit of it. Some...OK...it sounded like he said he tests kites for a living, but that couldn't be right. Anyway, he said he spends most of his time in Asia and he was bragging about all the places he's surfed, blah, blah, blah...you should see Egypt...
I mean, I know Webster is where life is worth living but I really didn't think it was the right time to shove that in his face.

I was asking Jill some questions about the island and he was putting in his 10 cents (it was 2 cents X 5). When I was asking about traffic here, which I'll blog about later, he started saying how they do it right in China...they get a hundred people, put them in trailers on the construction site and have them work every day until it's done...takes 2 months, tops. When I questioned the working conditions I got the "oh, it's the best work those poor people can get". That's when I knew he wasn't going to be my new best friend - douchebag - it was funny because with that kind of attitude he couldn't figure out why the locals are rude to him when he's surfing. I didn't feel the need to get into a bar fight my second day here so...

I had a few beers and hung out. Jill seems cool. She's going to come on the podcast next Sunday so you can check her out and see for yourself. Though, I think she thinks she's going to be a regular (relax, Kez).

So I'm seeing the island, getting lost on purpose once-in-a-while. It's Sunday evening right now and I'm going to bed in a few minutes. Seems, I have to get up at 3am my time to deal with my credit union in Rochester. They screwed something up and now I can't open an account here...or get a car, which I'll need to do in the next week.

I promise, pictures soon.

No comments: