Friday, August 17, 2007

New Plan

OK...enough is enough. I've been moping around too long. Those of you reading this who know me well enough are not going to be surprised when I say that I don't give a crap about Hawaii. I'd rather sit at a ballgame than a beach and every time I come to an "incredible view" I feel like Chevy Chase at the Grand Canyon. No one should be made to feel like Chevy Chase. It's just not natural.

In case you haven't guessed by now, this teaching job sucks so far. Most of the kids couldn't care less about what we're trying to do and treat the program like day camp. The teachers (including me) are trying to work together but we're not doing a very good job. There are reasons beyond our control for some of it, but not all.

So, here's the new plan. I'm going to go ahead at school and do what I intended to do with these kids. Most of them are not ready intellectually and/or maturity wise. I'm going to pick one form of media...probably the cable access TV show and start that with the kids who are mature enough. Then when more of them get their acts together I'll start the podcast. If we can get most of them to chill out, then I'll start the newspaper. I didn't move 6000 miles to teach spoiled brats to read. Oh, I'll teach them to read, but we're going on MY agenda. Not theirs.

Then there's the issue of money. Monday I have an interview with a tutoring center. It sounds like they're going to hire me. Ironically, they get a lot of kids there because of No Child Left Behind. So I'm going to do what teachers unions do. I'm going to take the government's money (indirectly) to show how lousy their program is. Unions take charter school teachers' money then lobby to get rid of charter schools.

I'm moving to a cheaper place in January. Then I'm going to spend every possible cent I have in getting rid of my debt. Seriously, if I'm a good boy, I'll be done with everything (including that albatross of a car) in 4 years. Then, I'll decide if I stay or go.

So I need to start doing things that I want to do. I don't care about surfing or snorkeling or luaus or whatever. Thursday I meet with the general manager of Maui's only community radio station about going back on the air. As soon as my Hillside pension money gets here, I get back into the gym and start getting ready for baseball. (my gear & guitar finally showed up)

Where's the f-ing Green Party in this town?

No comments: