Monday, August 6, 2007

Dave's Going Big Time

I promise, I'll be a good boy. This Saturday, the Governor of Hawaii is coming to do the photo-op thing at our school. Why? Well, I didn't fully realize the importance of the program I'm in. First of all, the Kihei Charter School is the only charter school on Maui. But the STEM program that I'm in is the only one in Hawaii - in any school. So many of the jobs here are service jobs, so if the state is going to try to attract businesses to come here (don't get me started on that), they want to have students graduating with a background in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.

Look, anything that's bugged me about Maui since I've been here - there isn't anything the Governor can do...well, except for taxes, I guess. But I'm just going to be eye candy. I'll get my picture taken and try to post it here.

So, I work in a place that's a big deal...at least in Hawaiian educational circles.

It's been a bit of a rocky start so far. We actually failed to get the approval from Fire Marshall Fred to let kids come into the school (or the part of the business park where are classrooms are. Seems that the architect didn't put in a pull-down alarm by the front door on the blueprints - therefore one wasn't put in. So we're still driving kids around town for classroom space.

With all transitioning we're doing, we can't really get the kids focused yet. A lot was planned before I was hired so I haven't been that instrumental in planning yet. Everyone's fine with the things I want to do, I just can't get any traction to get there. Maybe the Governor can do something about that...

Just kidding.

No comments: