Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Whole Buncha Crazy

I actually have a minute to sit and type so I thought I'd give an update of what's gone down and what will go down.

Yesterday, I was sending pictures by phone to a select bunch of you as I took kids to look for turtles and the surf was pretty high....it was a cool sight so I thought I'd show off a bit. Well, karma will sure come along and bite you on the ass pretty quick. Five minutes later some of my kids were swept away by an unexpected high swell. One of my girls was literally airborne. It was not cool and it was my fault. The kids shouldn't have been where they were. The other teachers said that I couldn't have known because it was my first time there, but I wasn't having it...if I could take a bunch of screwballs from Hillside to Cooperstown or even to the mall, I can take these spazzes to a beach. And to make it worse, I was actually taking a picture of them at the time...jeez:

So I took the other half today and got a chance to see a turtle pretty upclose. The kids have been studying them all year and most of the time, when they do, I'm in the classroom while they're out in the field. So I haven't had much of a chance to catch them. But from the kids I've heard about Fibropapiloma, which is this disease that's crushing the world's turtle population - and of course it's caused by pollution. Well, the turtle I saw today had this HUGE tumor attached to the side of its head. It was Fibro. Man, that really pissed me off. You hear about this stuff, but when you really see it...the impact. It's just plain fucked.

In the afternoon, I had a 40 minute session with a bunch of kids in the computer lab doing research for the project they're doing for me (which you can check out at atias.org). My Bill O'Reilyette started throwing a little fit because - as we now know - global warming is a hoax. It's not really cute any more and I'd like her and her bat-shit crazy grandfather to just go away.

Did you know that today was Holocaust Rememberance Day? Yep. And the parent who freaked over my Amnesty International activity about the children of Palestine set us up with a guest speaker - Dora Heller - who is a survivor of a concentration camp. So she came at the end of the day. It was pretty cool...in a sad way.

Now I'm at the Y...not a bad night, except for the woman who called telling me that she called 911 and "the bastard hung up on me and I still need help."

"Um, Mam. This is the YMCA."

"Blah, blah, blah"

Since I've been working here, I keep hearing: that doesn't usually happen here. Yeah, well there's a new sheriff in town so get ready for the freaks to come out.

This weekend's going to be a bit nuts. Friday, there's school, followed by a campaign meeting where I have to pick up interns and drive to Olinda for a campaign meeting. I have to gently kick a little ass to get people in gear so I can finally get rid of this one albatross I have from the Oahu Dems who got Summer to run in the first place. Then I have to bring the kids back to Kihei and get to Wailuku to be on Mana'o from 7-midnight. Back to Kihei...sleep and back to Wailuku to be at the Y at 6:45 Saturday morning. Right after that I have to choose between going to the mall to catch the tail end of my students performing some nutty-ass May Day is Lei Day thing or going to the Maui County Democratic Convention. I lose either way. Laundry or else I'm going to school naked &/or stinky next week. Sunday is more Y and podcast.

Two more weeks until I get rid of this freakin boot.

No comments: