Saturday, May 31, 2008

NOT the end of an era

The Jay Superstar meeting went down last night and I did not throw a fit and quit Summer's campaign. Though I will admit, that was the scenario in my head on the drive up. I'm really convinced that communication...I mean people speaking to one another...is just not a valued thing here. People don't do it well. That's why I was bent out of shape over this guy literally being brought in without my knowledge.

So the Jayster knows his stuff. He's actually down with pretty much everything I've set up so far. But I'll give credit where it's due, he was able to hit the right tone of obnoxious to get Summer and the family to start doing the things I was asking them to do all along. Now, Summer's committed to going door-to-door 5-6 times a week (she started yesterday). Dad, who's a player in a good way, in the district, is going to start making the phone calls he agreed to.

As the meeting was pretty much breaking up, he did whisper to me, "Sorry for stepping on your toes a bit." So he knew the deal. Yeah, it was a little awkward for me, but I'm glad he came. There are a couple of ideas we're definitely going to use and he got the people I was getting frustrated with to get going. And he also was able to blow out of the water this idea I was bugged with that we shouldn't do door-to-door during the week because people wouldn't want to be bothered at home then, etc. So now we're going during the week - which is what I wanted all along.

Jay's gone and I'm sure he'll be sticking his nose in on occasion, but the truth is, after Summer wins, I'll be leaving and Jay will be in Hawaii.

So there.

No comments: