Sunday, May 18, 2008

Another "How did I get here?" Moment

Friday night I drove up to Kula to visit Nancy...well, to drop off campaign lit, really. Then I was supposed to run over to Olinda to meet with Summer.

I got to the house...and holy moly...actually, I think I may have dropped an f-bomb or two. This house was unfreakinbelievable. I've seen bigger houses, but it was absolutely gorgeous, with amazing views (it was at around 4000ft up), the usual jacuzzi stuff, but the yard was amazing, the place was decorated with cool art. I'm not describing it well, but believe me, it was incredible. The woman who owns it is letting Nancy stay there while she tries to sell it since her husband died last year.

So Nancy's explaining to me how we can easily get the $2000 contributors over to the house for dinner and we can have a bigger 100+ person party at the "guest house" which was better than anything I've ever lived in. I'm sitting there in this ridiculous house, talking about money that I'm not usually around...and I just had another one of those - How the f-did I get here? moments.

As I drove back, I started to think about that house and that life. Nancy said that the house was up for sale and that she and her brother are trying to raise the money to buy it...it's a "fire sale" for $2.2 million bucks. I figured it out...that would pay my rent in Maui for over 192 years. Then I started wondering who deserves to live like that - at least when there are so many who live in poverty, without water? I wasn't picking on anyone specifically, I just meant in general.

Then I tried to figure out just when it was I started to feel so guilty about things I've had nothing to do with creating and have no power to change. Yet.

No comments: