Thursday, March 13, 2008

And I Like Politics, because?????

I've had my share of weird shit while dipping my toe into the wonderful world of politics. I've dealt with the cannibal, the gum-spitting guy, the abortion-school-board-chick, the spiritual bisexual dude, Congressional Cleavage, bad ceramic fish, and more stuff I'd care not to admit. I wasn't expecting tonight.

First of all, sorry I haven't had a chance to post too much. It's the end of the quarter at school, and all the kids who didn't believe us started freaking when they realized that they're flunking...or when they're parents realized they're flunking. Anyway, it's made for some chaos.

So, I'm running another political campaign. Details will be forthcoming, but her name is Summer Starr. One of my activist friends here introduced us. She's running for the State Legislature and didn't have a campaign manager. The rest is history. I'll get to the details of Summer and the campaign...in fact you'll probably be sick of it eventually, but for now let's just focus on tonight's task.

Summer and her mother met this woman who...well, let's just say she's interested in working on the campaign. So after some back and forth, the woman & I agree to meet in Makawao to talk. I thought we were meeting for coffee or something...

I got there on time and she was a bit late. She's nice, but a bit...uh...strange. When she first introduced herself I thought she was high. Seriously, her conversation was all over the place - including hitting on me the first 3 minutes of our conversation. I thought we were just exchanging information about ourselves. She asked me about my teaching, then asked if I had any kids, then asked if I was married, then if I had a girlfriend. When I answered "no" to all of them, she informed me that since she's been back on the island she hasn't been able to find a man (emphasis NOT added). It wasn't very subtle and I think I started talking about baseball after that. I mean, I'm like Elliot Spitzer...when it comes to sex and politics there should be money involved.

Well, coffee wasn't in her plans. She had made reservations at the place we met so I ended up staying for dinner (don't bother starting your "bow chicka wow wow"). The conversation was all over the place - it was like having a conversation with one of my Hillside kids who missed his meds.

I'll make this long story, not as long. I kinda felt like I was flapjacked. It was odd. She's about 10 years older than me, which I thought was appropriate. I mean, I've talked about this before (either here or at the other blog), but for the past few years I've been attracted to younger women...it's not a midlife crisis kinda thing, I've just haven't found anyone my own age who interests me. So it was a cool perspective to have the shoe on the other foot. It was still weird, though.

Oh...and what was the outcome of the conversation?

Yeah...she's probably going to be our fundraising coordinator.

This is going to be a funky ride.

No comments: