Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Quick Update

I haven't had the chance to post anything in a few days. Keziah is here visiting and we've been a bit busy. I'm getting to do some of the stuff that I haven't done yet. I'll get some pictures on after the weekend. Right now, I'm just focusing on spending time with her. But...for those music fans out there, she and I will be on Mana'o Radio this Thursday at (dig this) 10am - 2pm Hawaiian. That's 4 - 8pm EST, so you can check us out at Manaoradio.com.

Keziah, Jill and I did a podcast together last week and it was pretty funny...or at least to us. You can download it at this link. We're going to tape another one at the end of the week to make available later as well.

So...what have we done. Well, when she arrived on Friday, I decided to take her to the place I went to when I arrived. So we went to LuLu's and after a little while, her 29-hour day caught up to her.

The next day...barely...we got up stinking early...like 3:30am to go to see the sunrise at the crater of Haleakela. The internet said you would need 2.5 hours to get there from Kihei. Uh, try 1.5. So we got there a bit early. We hung out in the car for a while then went to the looking station on the summit. It was f-ing cold. Not cold. F-ing cold. The summit station smelled like ass, too. So as the sun was coming up, the f-ing cold took over and I had to pee...it was just too much so I had to go back down to the station, 100 yards away and actually missed the actual "sunrise". Keziah got pictures and I'll slap something up. But it was amazing...both the view and my pee. (OK...sorry about that one)

We hung out for a while, then later that night went to Cafe Marc Aurel, where Jill works. Jill had to work so she couldn't hang with us too long, but Keziah & I entertained ourselves. There was this flamenco band playing and we pretty much sat in with the band. The table we were at was to the side of the playing area and the percussionist was in my lap. Tato even elbowed me a couple of times when he was getting into it - and he hasn't called me since. We had a blast talking about the drunks there...or the other drunks there...watching this pair of women getting hit on and their strange competition for attention.

After that, I thought about going home and chilling but it was pretty obvious that Keziah wanted to check some other place out so we ended up at the Tiki Lounge. On weekends that place is a bizarre excuse of a meat market. So we ended up drinking beer and I got to hear Keziah make up dramatic narratives of all the interactions that were going on around us - including gay chick who doesn't know she's gay, straight girl teasing gay chick and drunk, pseudo-lesbians. It was if I was trapped in a rejected L-Word script.

Sunday was pretty cool. We went to the Sacred Garden of Maliko. I actually went there last week with my students and wanted to blog about it, but I didn't want Keziah to see it before she got here. Turns out that it wouldn't matter as she's become too busy to read this anyway. (Yes, that was for you) I will post on this place later on as I had...well, let's just say that this place had an unexpected effect on me.

Then we went up to Makawao to meet...sigh...my new campaign buddy (see previous post). I called her to remind her about the campaign meeting for Summer in Olinda and she suggested that we meet in Makawao to "carpool" even though Summer's place is only a couple of miles from Makawao. Keziah insisted that she just wanted the opportunity to be alone in the car with me. Must have been true, because as soon as she saw that Keziah was with me she decided to drive her own car.

The meeting was pretty productive and we wisked away, back to Kihei to tape The Stuart Bedasso Show! It was a fun show. We had a good time and Jill & Keziah hit it off really well. We went to Tiki again (which is NOT a meat market on Sundays), but jet lag was hitting one of us so we only made it for one drink. (I'm such a wimp)

Monday started out with us going to Ma'alaea, where we went on a whale watching cruise. It was pretty cool. We did get to see some whales - and a couple of dolphins. Keziah got some pictures that were as good as you were going to get of the trip. Stay tuned. The weird thing is we made sure to put on sunblock, but Keziah got some really weird kind of burn - as if she only put it on in random spots. So she was starting to get a bit uncomfortable. But we still made it over to the Maui Ocean Center - aka The Aquarium. It was pretty darn cool. Again, Keziah with the pictures. We took a brief trip to Lahaina after that, but the sun was too much and we just went home and chilled. She ended up with a really weird sunburn...it was the Gorbachev of sunburns.

Today, I had to do a thing...I testified at a County Council meeting about a stupid development project. Uh...OK...I'll just say it...I kicked ass. Afterwards, Keziah & I went back up to Makawao to do some "shopping" and by that time neither one of us really cared if we did anything so we went back to the house and hung out on my new temporary terrace, watching the sunset. (With the people upstairs moving out, I can get up on their second story terrace and the view is cool)

And that's where we are. Some cool stuff on tap tomorrow, Thursday is Mana'o and another podcast, Friday is Hana and she leaves on Saturday. Then I have a potentially strange party to go to on Sunday. Details coming.

No comments: