Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Am I Going to Have to Pay Someone to Keep this Job?

Uh...what just happened?

Let's review shall we? I currently have a job teaching in a school that is letting me have kids create a cable access TV show, a podcast (that will hopefully become a radio station) and a newspaper. After 15 years, I'm back doing radio at a station that let's me play anything I want within FCC regulations - and they actually like what I play! I'm doing political organizing in a place where the everyday person is not afraid of thinking outside the box - even if the box is corrupt as a mother.

Today:

In class today, I got to start using Amnesty International Urgent Actions to have the kids work on Social Studies, Geography, research, reading, letter writing, empathy and even a bit of psychology. I don't know if it will turn into us having an Amnesty International chapter at the school - which is something I've always wanted to do - but it's a start.

Then, I had a conversation with the school's director. It looks like I'll be starting up the Kihei Charter School baseball team. We'll start with a JV team this year and next year add the varsity. I'll start the JV team then move up next year.

Let's be honest, except for having all of you here, there's really nothing else I'd rather be doing. Teaching in the way I want, radio, political organizing, coaching baseball, the podcast, and next summer, playing baseball. And they even sell beer here!

Once again, how the hell did I get here?