Saturday, October 27, 2007

I Need Socks

I know. That doesn't seem to be a very interesting topic to blog on, but stay with me.

I need socks. So on this Saturday I planned on getting socks. Sounds pretty logical, right? Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice & men. I don't know how mice's plans got involved in this, but our plans go fucking awry!

What was I talking about? Oh yeah. Socks. So socks were on my list of things to do today. First, I had to meet some students at the Pacific Whale Foundation. One of them is interviewing a Sea Turtle expert for our upcoming cable access show. So I popped over to school to pick up equipment and do some little things, then I drove over to the PWF. Two kids showed up with their parents. We met the interviewee, Stephanie. She's...uh...well, let's just say that I wouldn't kick her out of bed for saving Sea Turtles. OK, that doesn't make sense, but you know what I mean. While I really had no reason to, I gave her my card. (the Green Party organizer card...Flapjacking, baby!)

So the interview finishes and I'm going to the car, daydreaming about my new Sea Turtle Goddess. As I get to the car I hear a female voice, "Excuse me."

I look up and it's this other woman, who I wouldn't kick out of my bed for...uh...alright, I don't know what she would be doing, but I wouldn't kick her out of my bed for doing it, OK?

"Um, which way would you be going?"

Now, I really didn't know. Remember, I need socks. And I was either going to get socks or I was going to another Save Makena protest. They were hoping I would bring the school video camera, which I had with me...but damn it, I really need those socks.

[Warning: Maui references ahead]

"I...uh...I think I'm going to Kahului." That's where the socks are. "Why, where do you need to go?"

"Kihei"

Damn. I wouldn't kick her out of my car, either. And going to Kihei would be on my way if I were going to the protest. I'm sure you can figure out what's next...

So, on the way to Kihei...I find out her name is Sharon. She's only been on the island for a month. Already has a boyfriend who she met a couple days after being here. From San Francisco, she was doing some corporate crap, got fed up and just left for Maui. Now she's doing part-time stuff until she can figure out what she wants to do here. She missed the bus to go to her job in Kihei at Cafe Ole (an awesome restaurant - too expensive for dinner, but great for lunch).

We get to Cafe Ole and I stop to get something to drink at the store next door. But first I give her my card. (Insert Sade's Smooth Operator here.)

OK...I'm not even NEAR any place that sells socks now and I'm 2 minutes away from this damn protest. Fine...I'll go to the stupid protest. I did and it was fairly lame. I tried to get some pictures, but it just wasn't working. But I did take video which I'll be messing with over the next week. Stay tuned.

With about an hour left (!) these three Hawaiian guys showed up to join the protest, bringing the total to about 8 people. They were cool. They held signs and laughed their asses off the whole time. They laughed at the stupid tourists who looked at us like we were from another planet. They laughed with the other Hawaiians who drove by...and everyone who wasn't me would "Woo!" I felt a little inadequate, as if I had gone to a nude beach.

Now, I've been involved in protests in the sun, rain, wind, snow, day, night...but I've never been in one where the main obstacle was mosquitoes. The Hawaiian guys laughed at them, too...as they were getting their asses bit up. But it was getting to the point that when you looked at your legs you couldn't tell which were the mosquitoes you already killed and which were the still alive ones you needed to kill. There was mosquito juice all over my hands. I'm talking a lot of freakin mosquitoes.

Eventually a few people straggled away. I realized that for the last 45 minutes it was just me and a bunch of Hawaiians. It was fine and I didn't feel out of place, but I have to admit, it was one of those "How the hell did I get HERE?" moments. We finished, everyone hugged / shook homie hands and left. In the car, I realized just how inept I am at the homie handshake. I'm always a few inches off, I just can't get a clean clasp. I'm very white, you know.

So now I'm home, doing a little cleaning, but it's still early. I think I may go up to Paia...there's a benefit for Mana'o Radio at Charley's. I figure, if today's going to be a day of meeting people, I may as well take advantage of it. But I don't think I'll stay out too late...

I have to go shopping for socks tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Apparently Maui is no Mecca for activism.