Monday, October 8, 2007

Easy As Falling Off A Bike

Before I get to the meat of today's post, a couple of quick things:

If you didn't get an e-mail from me about this, then listen up. You have a chance at winning a trip for two to Maui. No, this isn't some spam thing from the Prime Minister of Nigeria. Someone I work with has recently adopted two babies from Ethiopia. The legal costs have been overwhelming so some friends (who I also work with) came up with this brilliant idea to help Maria with the costs. It's a raffle where there's only 275 "tickets" so your odd are 1-in-275. For $50 you have a chance at round-trip tickets to Maui, a cottage to stay in for 10 days, rental car for 10 days...and more. Here is the link to check out more. You should do this. It's cool and for a good cause. And someone's already asked me if they win do they HAVE to visit me. No, you bastards, you don't have to visit me. See if I care. But we did say on the podcast that if you win getting the info from this, you are bound to be a guest on The Stuart Bedasso Show.

As we were taping the podcast tonight, I got a call from Kathy. She wanted to know if I'd be interested in doing another shift Friday night. So I'll be on Mana'o Radio on Friday from 8pm to midnight Hawaiian time. Not convenient for you East Coasters, but if you have insomnia or the baby keeps you awake...

OK...onto our main topic. Yep, I'm baaaaack.

I've been procrastinating getting back into the activist game. I don't know, I think it was just the fact that it's been taking me a while to feel comfortable here. The opportunities I've had to change the world here...well, I've just blown them off. Well, today I sucked it up and went to something I said I would. Oh boy, did I get involved. The cause was to save this piece of land that developers are trying to screw up. It's all for rich people and it'll...well, you can check it out for yourself at www.savemakena.org. Well, there was someone there who is on the board of THE big environmental activist group on the island (Maui Tomorrow) and another who is active in a PAC who works for independent political candidates.

In the morning, I'm going to Denny's. That's right, Denny's. For a meeting of people who want to get different activist groups to work together. There's a bunch of Save XXXX groups on this island because these capitalist pigs are just trying to make this a haven for rich people and all the Hawaiians can be their caddies and housekeepers.

I'm starting a committee to start a contest for kids to come up with pictures, videos, songs, etc about the issue.

I think I volunteered my students to go to a county meeting a 9am (!!!) on the issue to videotape and possibly testify at it.

I have my T-shirt. I have my bumper sticker.

Good thing the meeting started late and ended early. Who knows what else I would have volunteered for.

No comments: