Thursday, October 11, 2007

Activism Part Deux

OK, I didn't make it to Denny's a couple of mornings ago. After the podcast on Sunday, Jill & I went out for a while and when I got home I was really wired for some reason. I didn't get to sleep until morning time - it felt like I was back on overnights. So I missed the Denny's meeting (see a couple of posts ago).

But tonight I went to another group's fandango. GMO-Free Hawaii. I'm not going to start preaching about genetically-modified food here - but you should do the research on your own.

I went figuring there would be Green-minded people. I made a couple of contacts. And with the other 4 "greens" in Maui taking their sweet-old time getting back to me, I've decided to say f-it. I'm not going to worry about them, they'll need to catch up to me. So I'll have the first Maui Greens meeting in November. I just have to find a place.

I've discovered that there's a mentality here of...well...I've heard it described a few ways. Third-world, Polynesian mentality that everything will work out on it's own, "maui time", etc. To me, it's still a narcissistic attitude that surfing and partying are more important than changing what's wrong. You know, there's nothing wrong with doing both. People here have accepted what's become of these islands. But there are small groups that are working on small issues that need to be working together. I think that's going to be the Green's role here. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

James Bailey said...

Greenman? Is that you? We're going to take up a collection to buy Tim Saunders a raffle share. He'll be a lot of help out there and probably won't even want to come home.