Friday, November 21, 2008

Quick Updatey Type Things

*Got a flu shot yesterday. I forgot how oogy they make you feel. It's almost as if I'm hungover right now.

*I guess this will show how obsolete I've become at school. So now that they know I'm leaving, they've decided to replace me with an Education Assistant and a part-time clerk. That's what they're doing with my salary. I guess they don't need Social Studies that much afterall. I sure hope the door doesn't hit my ass on the way out.

*In our Friday meeting today, they kept talking about two sets of rules, one for the teachers and the other for the students...kind of the venn diagram of expectations. Earlier today I heard the 2 new teachers saying how we need to split the kids into grades more. And we're already tracking the kids based on their math skills, thus creating an education hiarchy. And everyone treats the crap kids like they're crap and the "elites" like the elites...and that's how the kids act. And the reaction to all this is more discipline, more external punishments and rewards and no teaching of self-control. Honestly, though, that's the route they have to go as no one here is really versed in helping kids understand internal motivators. I'm getting out of here just in time...it's turning into a traditional school very quickly.

*Well, my dreams of coming back to Rochester with some control over my finances went up in smoke this week. It looks like I'll be back with a five figure debt-load and no job to start paying it off. I'm sure glad there's not a recession...DOH!

*Believe it or not, I'm actually in a decent mood. Today's school happenings really showed me how right I am to leave. And while I may need to come back to that crazy 3 job / 7 day-a-week thing again, I'm going to do my darnedest to make it so I can do things that are important. I'm fairly confident that I'll be saying "no" to more people/groups...for a while anyway. Stop laughing, I mean it this time!

No comments: