Saturday, August 2, 2008

Kiawe is My Bitch!

Today ended the first week of school. And as it was Friday we did service learning. We went back to my favorite place - the wetland restoration project. Killin' Kiawe Trees. Yes, I know...I'm Greenman...a treehugger. But these are some evil-ass trees.

There I was...in the middle of a Kiawe jungle. Armed only with gloves, loppers and 24 middle school students...Man Vs. Kiawe. I'm a bit bloody, but I reign victorious.

Most of the kids were the new 6th graders and they were loving life. One of them said to me, "Mr. Atias, this is the best PE class I've ever had."

I actually have video of some of the action. I'm hoping to do some editing on Sunday so I'll letcha know when it's up.

So, my overall impression of school? Eh. OK. We have some work to do to get things smooth and due to the bad planning of 76 kids in not enough space (and computers that don't work), it's going to be pretty chaotic. But I have some crazy stuff I wanna try and lets see how it goes down. Stay tuned.

No comments: