Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Not a Resume' Day

Before I start, I thought I'd comment on the comments from last post. Where the campaign's concerned, Summer didn't really know what it takes to win a campaign. I think she still would have run, but...

She is doing better at the stuff she doesn't like to do and as she becomes more used to it, she won't give it a second thought. Now the other lazy bastards on this island, I can't speak for them.

But good, yet bizarre, news. It seems that the Republican, who isn't even opposed in the primary, has an attack ad out against Summer. I haven't heard it yet, but think about it. He's trying to make sure the incumbent wins. So whomever is advising him sees Summer as the front-runner. I also found out that the Democratic opponent, whom we go against on the 20th has basically co-opted Summer's platform on his lit. I'm going to see it on Thursday. Oh...and the Republican has basically copied Summer's website format - complete with header. Although it says absolutely nothing.

They're both going after Summer because it seems that she's the one to beat. So let's see if I can not screw this thing up.

*****************************************************

OK... I don't know what the deal is, but we're already into the 6th week of school and I don't seem to be "firing on all cylinders." Now today was just bad luck, it wasn't anything I did, but it's just the way things are going.

Today, I took a group of kids to a local beach, where, along with other volunteers, we planted native plants to restore a coastal sand dune. Cool, right? Here's a few pictures:




The kids know that on days they're scheduled to go in the field, they're supposed to bring water bottles. Just about no one did. And it was freakin hot. So by the end, everyone's complaining that they want water. Well, across the street is Fred's, a Mexican restaurant, which apparently sells breakfast. So the other teacher and a kid went over to see if we could bum some water off of them. They came back with pitchers and plastic cups...plastic cups emblazened with the Budwiser and Bud Light logos. Not my proudest teaching moment. But after everyone was making jokes about it, one of the volunteers who also had a camera had all the kids hold up their cups as if it was a really creepy Girls Gone Wild shoot...ok...without the boobies, but you get my drift. It wasn't cool. So somewhere is a picture that looks like I'm throwing a kegger with 25 middle schoolers.

Oy.

No comments: