Saturday, September 20, 2008

Is it the end, or is it just beginning?

So as I type this, the polls are about 30 minutes from closing. In the last 24 hours I've made, literally, around 400 phone calls. A couple of people whom we've sent phone numbers to have called and said they've had tremendous success with their calls. And I have to admit, there were a lot of calls I had to people who had either already voted for Summer or were about to. People got their potholders and except for this one couple who I know from the Y and who live in the district, everyone really dug them. There were the usual crazies...you can't make 1300+ phone calls and not get them, but seriously, there was a seriously good vibe coming from the quality and quantity of results.

I found out that the Unions did a poll last week. Summer & Kyle were just about even. Since then, people have gotten the potholder and a hand-addressed letter. A little later than we wanted, but hey...what happened, happened.

So over the past 2 days, I've gone back and forth about if I'm going to continue with the campaign - assuming we win tonight. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay with it. To be honest, it's mostly for myself now. I want to be able to say that I won this thing. We both know one person doesn't win a campaign, but you know what I mean. I've been involved in campaigns with candidates who should have won and now I can do one that should have and does win can be in the same sentence.

My plan is to - again, assuming we win tonight - meet with Summer on Tuesday. Plan out a strategy for what needs to be done and just divide up the duties. And do be honest, I'm not going to volunteer to do much. She wants to have control over it all so I'm going to let her have it. It's not worth getting pissed off about. And besides, the general election is going to be way easier than the primary. You have to really fuck up to lose a general if you're a Democrat here.

Probably more ads, which Summer can do. The next Kula Forum...Summer. An Op-ed...Summer. New mailing...Summer. Then phone calls...me.

Then there's the signwaving thing. I have to give credit where it's due. The Republican kid has had to wait for the winner of this. And his "signwaving" has been to be by the side of the highway with (gas guzzling) pick-up trucks with his name all over it. But he's had 5 or 6 people in t-shirts picking up garbage instead of waving. Not bad, actually. If we do it, we're following him. So we're basically left to do the "traditional" signwave or nothing. Touche'.

Yesterday, I finally got "Yamashita-ed" I was driving upcountry and there was Kyle by the side of the road. He's a sign waving FREAK! He's like the Rainman of signwaving. He pointed right at me and made eye-contact...I felt like Frodo and he was Sauron. (sorry for the geeky LTR's reference)

Well, that's about it for the campaign update. If I stay up until 1 or so, I may be able to see the results...even then, maybe. I can go to a "party" at the local cable access station at 9pm...eh...haven't decided. It won't be a party I can have fun at so...

I'm just glad this part is freakin over.

No comments: