Saturday, February 9, 2008

Quick Hits

*I got the school calendar for next year. It looks like the best time to come home would be July 2 - 16. I have most of June off, too so that may be an option, but I'd like to be around when school is out in Rochester...stay tuned.

*Jeez...I'm just a man for crying out loud. One of the teachers I work with...Peggy...her daughter's in town for a few days. I met her yesterday at the kids' science fair...first of all, she seems very nice...(obviously, this is where I digress)...but she's there with those pregnant, mommy boobs and wearing a dress that's just saying, "Here they are, boys!" It was enough to make Phil Donahue shout, "Hey Chicky, nice rack!" The really weird thing is that I could tell Peggy this and she'd think it was funny. But the bad thing (for me) is that she would think it's so funny that she'd have to tell her daughter. Wouldn't THAT be a great reunion down the road. "Uh...sorry I was staring at your rack. Oh...you must be her husband. Sorry I was staring at your wife's rack...uh...dude." The really pathetic thing is, I was so busy "not" staring that I actually forgot her name. I think she had eyes...See you in July, John.

*A couple of weeks ago, someone at work mentioned that given the cost of living, teachers in Hawaii were the most underpaid in the country. I'm starting to figure that out. Then on Friday, while at the County Council hearings (see previous post) they were bantering about what constitutes "affordable" housing. They included the median income for Maui. I'm seeing how we're underpaid.

*From the good news, bad news department: I had to take my car in today for it's first 3 month servicing - part of the expensive maintenance plan I have - it's going to take a couple of hours so I went across the street to the Maui Swap Meet and hung out for a while then walked over to Time Warner...I'm back to glomming onto others' wireless until they can get over here to hook up my road runner. So the good news is, I made an appointment to get it hooked up...the bad news is it's February 23rd...from 7:30 - 9:30am. Niiiice. No doubt I'll be on Mana'o that night.

*Speaking of Mana'o Radio, I've been wondering what the deal has been with Friday nights. I get all these calls to fill in 8-midnight on Fridays for Bubba the Road Dog, and this dude's been out since I've been at the station. Months. I'm thinking, this sucks! Who the hell is this dude? I don't care how long he's been around, if this gig ain't that important to him then step aside and let a brother in...I'm sure Miguel in Kula would be all tingly over me sliding in. Well, last night I found out that Bubba's in Kansas taking care of like, 20 sick relatives...it's a real heartbreak story and yada, yada, yada. OK...dude gets a pass. I'm still lobbying for a spot...someone needs to have an "accident" though, because it looks like none of these people are going anywhere.

*Only a couple of people are going to get this, but it's too funny for those who do...last night at Mana'o, I was in the last hour of my shift and this guy calls and requests...get this...Group X - I Just Want Bang, Bang, Bang. AND I HAD IT! While talking to the guy, he heard some original version with just vocals online, then heard the version with music on Mana'o (I played it) and when I played Ethan Lipton's "Hit It", it reminded him of the Group X song. I'm a radio god!

No comments: