Thursday, February 21, 2008

Mission Impossible

Last Monday was a busy day. I had to tape the podcast (which is pretty good I might add. Listen to it here.), I had a meeting about stopping the development of Wailea 670, then dinner with Peggy, Renee & Gary. The meeting was supposed to be a strategy meeting - the County Council passed the first reading of the development approval. If it passes the second reading it's on, baby. So we have a few weeks to strategize how to get those sell-out MF'ers to change their minds.

While I'm taping the podcast, I got a call from one of the other activists - Lucienne. She tells me that we may be going out to see some of the property as well. I may want to wear pants. Uh...OK.

Finish the podcast, go to the Dude's house where we're supposed to be meeting. Not a lot of strategery going on. Seems that the whole meeting is going to be a Lava Hike. I'm not quite prepared for this. No backpack, big clunky water bottle, running shoes and camera batteries almost dead. I was a tad annoyed.

Turned out to be a pretty cool afternoon. Lucienne may as well be a freakin archaeologist. And I knew Collin was the botany dude, but he knew his stuff. These Hawaiian words are kicking my ass. The only one that stuck in my head was Puka (hole or cupboard). Other than that, they were just flying over my head. But I did take some pictures. I'll post a few here, but go to the underutilized Fokti page to see all 40-something.


Going up the lava trail.


The Nehe can only be found on Maui - and most of them in that one spot...for the whole world. I can't wait for golfers to "play through" them.


Hey! An Ancient Hawaiian artifact. I can't believe the developers' archeologists missed this.


Guess the developers missed this Ancient Hawaiian Fire Pit. Nothing to see here.


Another "how the hell did I end up here" moment.

No comments: