Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Where's My Sticker?

I voted today. By absentee ballot. I figured there was a possibility that I'd be busy on election day...with Summer's campaign. So I got an absentee ballot. It was interesting. The state has a state Board of Education. There's no local rule. I didn't even know there was anyone up for it. I had to do some quick online research and I couldn't find much. I didn't vote in one of the races because I couldn't find info on either person. And then there's the OHA races. The Office of Hawaiian Affairs. I didn't feel it was appropriate that I vote for that, so I left it blank. Jesus, we need to give these islands back to the Hawaiians and get the fuck out.

State Rep...both were so repugnant, I couldn't vote for either. I voted for the relative progressives in every election for County Council. Then there was the biggie...yep. You know where I went. Cynthia McKinney has at least one vote now. Remember...if you're in a definite Obama state (cough...cough...New York) the Green Party only needs 5% of the vote.

On the back of the ballot were two referendum issues. One was lowering the age requirement to run for Governor from 30 to 25. I didn't know that was going to be on the ballot, but I voted No. I gave it serious thought...Age doesn't make someone a good candidate - look at McCain - but I've found that life experience is important. Sure, there'll be exceptions to that...people who are "older than their years," but I'm back to being an "elitist". I want people in charge who are experienced. It's the kind of experience that helps you differentiate in the booth.

But the most interesting one was the referendum that every state has from time to time...the dreaded Constitutional Convention...[insert dramatic music here]...should there be one.

I remember the last time New York had to deal with that. Oooh was there a lot of discussion. The main argument then, and now, and in every referendum, is that the special interests will get ahold of it and will make things worse.

Now, stop and think about this for a minute. The people who hold this view are labeled "pragmatic". I label them "lazy ass bitches". Because, at best, they may e-mail a letter to the editor, but would never dream of traveling to their state capital and demanding that the convention be upright. They wouldn't take off from work and bring their kids to lobby their representatives. Hell, they wouldn't even put that stupid bluetooth thing in their ear and call their state rep while going from Starbucks to Crap-Mart.

I voted "yes". And when it comes up in New York...I'll vote and lobby "yes" again.

I'm not an idealist, I'm just fed up.

So, where's my "I Voted Today" sticker? This state sucks.

No comments: