Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Stupid Cute Kids

So it's been another week at school of organizational chaos...every day I / we have to pull ideas and decisions out of our asses thanks to no leadership and no structure. I'm trying not to show my frustration in front of the kids, but it's difficult.

Mini-Tangent Alert: I've already started looking for work back in Rochester. I sent resume's to the Center for Disability Rights for a Manager of Deaf Services and to Alternatives for Battered Women, for a Domestic Violence Education Coordinator. I contacted the City School District and updated my online teaching application through BOCES. Around Thanksgiving I'll pick it up for smaller gigs. OK...Tangent over.

So, thanks to not being able to get anything cool for us to do this week for our field outing (I found out about that I had to plan it last Friday afternoon) I took kids to the library to do research for their upcoming science projects, that I'm really not involved with. Because we've pretty much gone to tracking the kids, today's group was the "good" group. The teachers call them that in private and the rest of the kids do as well. But I digress.

One of my little 6th graders finished her assignment early, and being a little hyper she decided to hang around Mr. Atias and talk. Well, I'm starting to wonder if I should be flattered or not that the kids feel comfortable in saying anything around me. Somehow this child came to the conclusion that I need a wife. (I know, I know)

Well, it seems that she has taken it on as her mission in life to find me a wife. Great. An arranged marriage. By an 11-year-old. My life has sunk to this. At least she stopped trying to pawn off her grandmother on me. (Grandma actually lives in Rochester of all places...and the kid's parents are from the Flower City...as the ice cream truck/child abduction van plays every day in my hood: it's a small world afterall.)

She's threatening to put an ad in the Maui News.

Stupid cute kids.

Seriously though...I'm starting to get an oogy feeling...the new 6th graders are starting to bond with me. And I'm going to leave.

Humbug!

No comments: