Monday, June 9, 2008

Dave the Jamaican

Yes, it seems that I am really Jamaican. I know...if you know my alleged parents you'd probably have a good argument against this theory, but I sure can't think of any thing else to explain this.

I got another job. Yep, a third one. Of course that goes with the campaign I'm (kind of) running and summer school.

I was just offered a position to teach social studies online through Penn Foster. It's a job that I can take with me where ever I go. So when I leave here, I'll still have something that's ongoing.

Oh...and one of the Village People at the YMCA gave his notice. So I was asked if I wanted to pick up one of his shifts. So I'll be working Monday evenings as well.

So, to sum up...I'll be working my ass off over the next year. The primary election is in September and that should be relatively it for the campaigning. I won't be doing much activism stuff for a while after that. I'm going to get rid of as much debt as possible and start looking for a job somewhere I'd like to live. For right now Rochester's my first choice, but if I can find something cool close to some of y'all I'll explore NYC & Washington DC. There are some good Coalition of Essential Schools...uh...schools in those cities.

Then there's summer school. Ah...supposed to be laid back, take to guff from kids, etc. Well, I'm teaching 7th grade math to kids who have already had it. They can't add. One of them doesn't speak English. I'm in a portable classroom with more dust than on my desert window sills. I have a dry erase board that doesn't erase. I was given the book to use then told that it's easy and that I'd figure it out.

Today was the first day and we're already behind...by a lot. This place is slow.

How slow? Well, last week we "celebrated" the expansion of the Molukele Highway. They turned a 2 lane highway into a 4 lane highway. A fairly straight 7 miles of road. It took SIX years to finish. Yep...six freakin years. In New York, they bang out stuff like that in a month.

So, Yah, Man. Me no like the natty dread locals. Goin bang outta he-ah.

2 comments:

Lazulipi said...

SIX YEARS! ah ha ha thats barely over amile a year! awesome people.

Ariel White said...

Look, I'm not the only person that reads your blog! But I bet I am the only person whose computer gives them weird error messages about not being allowed to read your blog when they try to subscribe to your RSS feed. I think it's something to do with your private status. And I'm lame, but I don't understand the Jamaican thing.