Saturday, January 19, 2008

Plantin Stuff

OK, turns out I'm not in some kind of haze...I'm sick...again. Thursday was horrible, but I sucked it up because that reporter from the Maui News came...I thought she was going to be hanging with us out in the field, but it never happened.

Me, Renee & the kids hung out on the beach and took some notes then went back to the school and did some Haikuing. (yes, I made that word up) I did this with all the kids over 2 days and on the second day...I don't know...I just wasn't feelin it. The kids were writing stuff about waves, sky and sand...yada, yada, yada. So I'm sitting on the beach, getting sand in places you don't want sand and this idea came to me...what if I get the kids to sit in front of me - facing the ocean - and guide them to use their other senses (uh, except for taste, I don't want them tasting anything on the beach). Nah, it's too corny, too new agey. But it was bugging me, because the kids just weren't getting the whole experience. So I decided to give it a try...what's the worst that could happen?

It fucking worked. They sat, listened, answered then stayed sitting and started writing. It was if I actually knew what the hell I was doing.

Quick update: it seems that some of the stuff I got put into the program are going pretty well. The other staff seem to be digging the individual advisory meetings and the recognition committee and the sign classes are showing glimmers of helping with English. Jeez, I've been feeling so lousy this week, now that I type all this, I guess I had a pretty good week. I didn't realize it until just now. More below.

So Friday, I got to take a group of kids to the beach for service learning. We met up Lise Richardson, who's been working on restoring a part of the beach that was messed up by the Kona storms from last month. We planted native plants and collected rocks that are going to help build up and preserve the dune there. The kids really did well. At the same time, another group of kids went to this...uh...bunker-type thing near one of the main highways that had gotten tagged with graffiti. Seeing as it involved painting, it was a good thing I did the beach thing. So here's a few pictures:






No comments: