Monday, November 12, 2007

My First Luau

I was invited to my first Luau over the weekend. What made it a little odd was that it was a fundraiser for the local VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars). Of course I brought the average age down to about 150, but I had a good time. There were a couple of musicians there who were good - both were teachers in a school upcountry. There was - what I'm told was - authentic hula dancers. I have to admit, it really reminded me of storytelling in American Sign Language.

Now the food...um, I don't think I'm going to be eating too much Hawaiian food. Salty, high carbs and some raw fish. Not quite my favorites. But I tried it and lived. I've now had authentic poi. There wasn't that much flavor to it and it was really heavy.

I tried to stay away from the folks telling war stories. I'm not going to get into the reason why, but if you're curious, you can check out my Veterans Day post at Whitee.com.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

POI tastes like wall paper paste.