Friday, November 9, 2007

Life is Full of Contradictions

I read a review in Bitch Magazine of the book by Danica McKellar called Math Doesn't Suck: How to Survive Middle School Math (without losing your mind or breaking a nail).

I decided to buy it as I have a bunch of underachieving girls in school who aren't doing well in math and thought that it couldn't hurt. Now, I may not be so sure.

At the risk of having all the women in the Kelsey family on my ass, there's actually horoscopes inside the darn thing. It's not totally "girlie" but enough that makes me a little uncomfortable. I'm trying to get my girls to NOT identify themselves with what they wear or if the cute boy likes them or not. There's good things in the book, but...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I do remember when these pictures came out:



Yes, Danica McKellar is Winnie Cooper from The Wonder Years. She has a degree in math and is doing some cool academic math stuff. But something in my gut...

Screw it. I'll give it to the math teacher and she can decide what to do with it. I just hope it helps.

Speaking of the math teacher...she invited me to join her and her husband tomorrow to my first luau. The semi-ironic thing is that it's a fundraiser for the local VFW (Veterans of Foreign War).

I'll save my annual hand-wringing on veterans for Monday.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Veterans are the reason you have the freedom to wring your hands about veterans.

Papa said...

Winnie Cooper can teach me math or anything she wants...