Saturday, September 15, 2007

School Days

Things seem to be settling into a groove. I have my cable internet now, so I'm currently listening to some Idiot's Delight out of Fordham U. I got the guitar out and I've started playing a little (more on that below). I splurged and bought some Asparagus so that's what I'm making for dinner. That may not seem like a big deal, but Asparagus doesn't ever seem to be "in season" here.

I've been meaning to blog about some things that are going on at school, but I'm still walking around with this plague or whatever it is the kids gave me. I've pretty much been coming home and going to bed.

Last week, we had the kids decorate some clay flower pots. Then we took them and smashed them into pieces. So, last Monday & Tuesday, we teachers woke up early and went down to the beach, roped off quadrants and buried the pieces in the sand. Then we went to school and brought a group of kids to the beach for an "excavation". Then, Wednesday & Thursday, the kids attempted to put their pots together. Now they have a write-up to do on it. Pretty freakin cool.

Last Monday, we had our first meeting of the people who are starting our school cable access show. We decided to call it STEM's Maui News. We have a logo. And kids are working on a theme song and "motto". Next week, we start working on story ideas, practice editing video and divide up the "roles".

Holy Crap! I'm a teacher!

Next Tuesday and Wednesday I'll be breaking out the guitar to do a little Maui Idol. We're going to take the song Home on the Range and in groups, turn it into different versions of Rome on the Range. Then, either the kids will sing 'em or I will...or both. I sure hope this plague goes away by then.

Coming soon: I'm already starting to plan on trips to take during my upcoming 2 week break. So I'll be posting pictures of a bunch of places on the rock. I'll also be doing a couple of overnight shifts at the radio station. So on the east coast, I'll be on 6am to noon. Maybe you can catch some of it online. Details coming.

No comments: